Drum roll please – it’s time to see the first project of the 2013-2014 Design Team. The projects this month are from a variety of different companies using the items in their May kits. Jacki made this fantastic Configuration Box using all sorts of Tim Holtz and Ranger product. Here’s a photo of her creation:
This is what the box looks like when you open it:
Now isn’t that just so cute? You could of course make it any theme you want. I also thought it would be nice to add some photos and even some personal memorabilia. Here is Jacki’s step-by-step instructions:
1. Cut the three 12X12 papers down to fit the front and backcover, and slightly smaller for the inside front cover. Apply Beacon glue to backsides and attach the front and back covers.
2. Before adhering the inside front cover, attach curio knob from the front side and screw down tight, apply the patterned paper to cover hardware.
3. Cut remaining pieces of covers in fit the book binding and edges.
4. To cover individual compartments you will need to measure each size box. Cut paper by adding the depth + width + depth X depth + length + depth.
5. Once paper is cut, score all four sides on the scoring board, at the depth measurement, example: ¾ inch all the way around.
6. Cut notch out of each corner where score lines intersect. Fold on score marks and adhere to compartment using Beacon glue.
7 Continue covering insides of all compartments.
8. Using tissue tape or washi tape, apply to top edge of box so it hangs over edges evenly. Notch the corners with Xacto knife and press down all edges.
9. Use tissue tape to cover seams along the all three covers and outside edges as well.
10. At this point I needed to apply another kind of adhesive over the tissue tape. The tape looked really nice but it wasn’t holding, the edges continued to come up, so go over with a matte glue and brush, I used some decoupage glue.
11. Now comes the fun part: the filling of the individual compartments. I will give instructions on what I put in my box, however you may choose to substitute or go another route, have fun with it. I choose to use mostly Tim Holtz products to decorate my book.
12. Using Specialty Stamping Paper and Archival Black Ink, stamp the Tim Holtz bunny, the nest, (twice), the butterfly (twice), and three small butterflies. Heat with heat tool to make sure ink is completely dry before coloring.
13. Using Distress Markers and Distress Inks with the water brush, color the stamped images. Let dry.
14. Cut the butterflies, all sizes, and the nest out carefully, including the word “Nest”, on the second nest, just cut out the eggs. Leave a surrounding white edge of about an inch on the bunny.
15. Add a small piece of tape to the back side of the middles of the small butterflies, so the brads won’t tear through, and poke a small hole for a brad. Add a small game spinner to each butterfly for the body.
16. Attach piece of foam adhesive to back of butterflies and adhere one to each of the three smallest square compartments.
17. Attach foam adhesive to the eggs and adhere to the nest. Adhere to top right compartment with additional foam adhesive.
18. Die cut the chipboard using the Tim Holtz Movers and Shapers Bunny, and Heart and The Sewing Room Bigz Die. Die cut the Real Wood Paper with the Artful Dwellings Die and part of the branch only from the Bird Branch Bigz Die (I cut two pieces of branch)
19. From the Bird Branch Die, using the cardstock scrap, cut out the bird, and from the Caged Bird Bigz Die, cut out one wing. Cut bird from branch, ink the edges and attach wing to bird.
20. From a scrap of pattern paper punch 5 flowers with the small flower punch. Attach with mini glue dots to the branch.
21. Using the Archival black ink, stamp the script on the heart. Heat to dry, color heart with Distress Stain. Using Distress Stain or Acrylic Dabbers, apply color to plaque, wipe off excess. Let dry.
22. Put brads through holes in plaque. Adhere plaque to top left compartment, apply glue dots to heart, apply over plaque. Fold small banner and attach over heart at angle. I also added a word across the banner from Tim’s word stickers.
23. Spray chipboard bunny with Melted Chocolate Dylusions Ink Spray. Heat to dry. Ink edges. Attach ribbon to neck and use foam adhesive to adhere chocolate rabbit top center compartment.
24. Using Beacon glue, attach birdcage and bird in flight to left second row compartment. The cage could be filled with whatever you would like, maybe some beads, or pearls? I left mine empty however.
25. Attach large crown from regal adornments to right second row compartment.
26. Using Sewing Room Die, cut canvas tag into dress shape. Color canvas with Dylusions Ink Sprays or Distress Stains. Heat to dry thoroughly. Cut down dress stand to fit inside compartment, ink edges. Attach canvas dress with Beacon glue, tie ribbon into bow around dress and use foam adhesive to adhere to bottom left compartment.
27. Ink edges of chipboard spool and wrap twine around. Adhere with foam adhesive. Use Beacon glue to attach 3 buttons to side of dress.
28. Tie ribbon through hole in key, use pop up glue dots to attach to center bottom compartment.
29. Using paper trimmer, cut ¼ to 3/8 inch strip from corrugated cardboard. Bend around Real Wood house for roof on birdhouse, attach using Beacon glue. Use 5/8 inch punch to make hole in birdhouse. Ink edges. Use foam adhesive to adhere to compartment, Attach flower branch to slightly cover from top left edge, using Beacon glue. Attach bird to bottom edge of compartment using Beacon glue.
30. Use Beacon to attach small wings to bottom right compartment, attach small fractured doll on top of wings, place small crown above head. Attach word stick to left side of doll.
31. Use Beacon to adhere metal photo corners to the two right edges of configuration book.
32. Using pearl pen add centers to flowers on birdhouse branch. Let dry.
33. Now we finish the outside of the book: Cut a piece of light brown cardstock to 4 X 51/2 inches. Using the largest oval on the Fiskars oval template, cut the middle of the cardstock out, leaving a frame. Adhere to colored bunny stamped image using foam adhesive.
34. Using green cardstock, cut the grass using the Sizzix die, cut in half and add to bottom of frame, overlapping slightly. Add flowers as desired. Attach one of the large butterflies to the top left of frame with foam adhesive.
35. For banners, cut four or five patterns into pennant and banner shapes, apply with foam adhesive and string twine underneath foam.
36. For the inside front cover, cut brown piece with Spellbinders label die and attach a 3 inch cream circle to middle, add remaining large butterfly.
37. Lastly, I added my title with American Crafts Thickers and metal corners on the inside edges.
Here are a couple of close ups of the box contents:
If you are interested in making one of these for your own, but find the instructions intimidating, Jacki will be having several step-by-step classes in June. The first two classes are Thursday, June 20 & 27, 6:00-8:00 p.m. Call the store or stop by to sign up. The configuration box is on display on the counter by the register so you can get a look at it in person.